Friday, October 3, 2008

"Old Sea Dogs", a true first year story...

Timothy Gabb (inset) is not your typical first year student. Throughout his high school, the poetry and prose of The Beat Generation developed in Tim an insatiable appetite for different kinds of inspiration, experiences and passions. After finishing school he said, "I needed to take a journey to discover myself, and to ask the questions that gnawed into the deep recesses of my dreams". A "crowbar of words" had formed, which had pried their way into his life, meat for the butchery of university. His inspiration for the future, grounded by two sea-faring years in the Mediterranean, had permeated the will to write what is real, and initiated a past interest into the methods of Tom Wolfe and Hunter S Thompson. This path has led him to the AMM building a top the old wise hill of Rhodes University.


To understand Tim’s journey is to understand his experiences and to see what truly brought him to the knowledge that is giving a voice to his dreams. Three short months after finishing school, Tim found himself aboard the "Francesco Petrarca", a three mast classic sailing ship, of the Spanish isle, Palma de Majorca. A new world of excitement opened up to him: "I had to adapt and transform all that I knew. At the same time I revelled in my new-found independence, getting drunk with old sea-dogs!"


Quite surreptitiously, the power of writing and journalism was growing in strength, due to his dive into the works of "New Journalism" and the childhood memories of Mark Peters, a family friend and Newsweek war photographer. According to Tim, it was "the sheer courage, determination and lengths to which [Mark] pushed himself, in order to reveal to the public what was really going on throughout the world, that ultimately moulded my ideas of what journalism should stand for."


Tim wasn‘t sure what university life would be like, it was an impulse, an instinctive feeling that led him to apply to Rhodes. "Grahamstown was not the place I thought I would end up, it is really different from the adventure and excitement of Croatia and Majorca but for some reason that I just can‘t explain it feels so right", he says. However, it has not all been plain-sailing. Seemingly lost in thought, Tim stares out over the golden ocean as if searching for some lost memory, a fragment of a past life. "There have been tough times, university is a process of growing and moulding. I, like many other first-years, have experienced my fair share hopelessness and anguish," he says.
It could be easy to stereotype a man with long blonde hair, a unique sense of style and that calmness that only comes with having grown up in a small, coastal town. " I grew up on the beach, yet that is by no means a grip on categorising me. He is a man that rebels against anything that is not his own: "I will chart my own course in this life, I will be the creator of my own destiny." Saying that with great conviction, Tim illustrates his sever from any ideology or practice: "Subjectivity is the only truth that I understand. No words of man will I take as absolute!"


As the stars begin to canvas the night sky and the wind whispers its last chords, all that is left is the serene music of the ocean. "Sometimes I miss the salt on my skin, the adventure of travelling the open ocean, but I am here for a reason and I aim at maximising my chance", he says. Tim is not a stereotype, he has charted his own course through the stormy waters of first year. Tim Gabb is determined, set like stone amongst the clay: "There are stories out there that blaze in their need to be found, secrets, the findings need to be illuminated."

3 comments:

Chwayitisa said...

The story of Timothy Gabb reads like a piece straight off "Sinbad", this is some great writing and I absolutely love how you chose someone so close to your own character... Captain Morgan. It seems to me that you have really captured the true essence of the man behind Timothy, his experiences are so vast and rich that I can imagine that you could even have written a book about him.

It is strange to think that someone in first year can have such a rich vein of experience and I think it has made his life story all the more richer. I absolutely love his short anecdote about Mark Peters. Overall this is a really good piece, I really felt like I was reading a page off a good novel.

Congratulations on a job well done.

Futch

Daneel Knoetze said...

Dear Author

I found this to be an endearing tribute to a young man who perceptibly deserves due wide-ranging respect. In drawing lines of this profile into a complete picture, a truly remarkable character comes to the fore.

I must however remind myself that such an account is not merely and spontaneously driven by the noteworthiness of the subject, but by the resourcefulness of the author. Your use of quotes, your documenting of the brute reality that is ‘Tim’, is contextualised (skilfully) by your own impressions and associations. In having said this, I pay respect not to Tim (for this has been aptly done), but to you for having restored a little hope to the slapdash and messy world of online blogging

Sincere regards

Daneel

Terri said...

I really enjoyed this profile. You created some beautiful and unusual metaphors, for example; “the wind played it’s last chord”, involving the sense of hearing and creating a vivid piece of imagery, making this a truly “sense”-ual piece.

I appreciated the way that your story formed a narrative – making it less a run-down of facts about Tim, and more alike to a fictional story, following the format of most fairytales.

As the theorist Todorov stated, in every narrative there are certain characters; usually a donor of a magical agent that gives the hero of the story the tool he needs to complete his mission, as well as a dispatcher that sends the hero on his quest to save the princess. These three characters are evident in this profile; with the Beat Generation giving Tim the inspiration he needed, the “Francesco Petrarca” sending him on his quest to discover himself (thereby, quite loosely, saving the proverbial “princess”).

See u in the tut Tuesday :-)
Terr