Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Ramble on...


So I was sitting at my favourite spot at the local pub enjoying an ice-cold Black Label pondering my next blog entry. What to do, what to write about? After a few beers and a good ten Sahawi King Size cigarettes, a group of first year students broke my bubble of thought and occupied the table behind me.
As I was eavesdropping on their conversation, I couldn't help but laugh or perhaps cry. The conversation revolved purely around conformity and intellectual thought. Maybe it's only me, but what grounds does a first year have to talk about what it is to be an intellectual? And, don't even get me started on conformity, if I hear another first year talk about conformity of society, I might just go truly crazy!
I am the first to agree that university is a time to discover and to debate pertinent issues. However, these youngsters were at best intellectually arrogant and treading a fine line between this arrogance and self-deception. It seems those that are truly searching for knowledge are the last individuals to talk about what it is to be an intellectual, they just get on with it!
Conform: "To keep to accepted rules or customs". Yet all these students were dressed the same, talking the same and yet discussing how different they are to everyone else. "I refuse to conform to the rules put forward by society", one of them said. I had to drink three Tequila's just to calm my fragile nerves! Enough of my ramblings, what do you think? If you disagree with me, please tell me, swear at me if you want. #%*! it, let's get under their skin!
El Capitan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's like by being anti the 'normal' people, and not conforming, you're conforming to the group of non-conformists. Does that make sense?

There's a song by Say Anything about that... it's called 'Admit it'.

Some lyrics: Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance
And vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs
You know nothing about art
That you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine... You are a vacuous soldier of the thrift store Gestapo...

You spend your time sitting in circles with your friends...
Forever competing for that one moment of self-aggrandizing glory
In which you hog the intellectual spotlight
Holding dominion over the entire shallow pointless conversation...

When you walk by a group of quote-unquote normal people
You chuckle to yourself patting yourself on the back as you scoff